Tuesday, April 14, 2009

the clear path, futuresight, scattered focus

I'm taking it personal today. Sitting in a cafe, watching the pages of my book flip around in the wind. Losing my place in the book as my mind drifts away. So this posting may show some of my scattered state, flipping back and forth with the whim of the wind or the next song on the 'jukebox'.

I've been trying to do the impossible lately. Or maybe just the not yet possible. That is, time travel. i want to see the future, to know that the decisions I'm making today will have the outcome that I want. But sadly, as Milan Kundera points out in The Unbearable Lightness of Being, there are no dress rehearsals in life. It's always Showtime!

Then again, maybe it's not all that sad and maybe even things are much more predictable than we think they are. Anyone who follows the new age scene is familiar with The Secret and the idea that you can manifest your own destiny. Or really, that we are manifesting our destinies whether we want to or not. It's not a question of is it happening but are we an active participant in the process.

The opposite of action is not inaction but involuntary action. You just breathed... did you notice? Now do it yourself, make it a voluntary action. take in oxygen as the fuel for your dreams so that they do not stagnate and drift into the unconscious. Either way, the breathing will continue and either way your life will continue until...

Back to me and seeing the future. I'm in the process of creating something that will potentially reach many people and help them get access to Hanna Somatics. I've always been drawn to this work because ultimately, it takes me out of the equation. What's real is the ideas and movements. Those ideas and movements can be conveyed through hands-on session where I'm physically engaged with someone guiding them to their areas of unconscious contraction. It can also be done in a group setting, using auditory feedback to create an internal experience. Can it be done through technology? More importantly, am I doing it as effectively as possible because in the end I will have invested time and energy and it will either succeed or not.

So, I'm trying to clear my head to discover the true path. This is one of the big underlying themes in Somatic Philosophy that there is an Authentic, in Feldenkrais' words, Potent Self. This Potent self acts with spontaneity and clarity because they are unblocked from external or imposed motivations. To act otherwise would be compulsive meaning not inline with your true desires but rather forced for various reasons. In this way the tensions that we feel are caused by the battle between spontaneity(the authentic) and compulsivity(the inauthentic). Maybe you understand what I mean when I say this, I'll elaborate at another time.

flip flip flip, scattering off... gabriel

No comments: