Tuesday, April 15, 2008

eyes


I've been thinking about eyes lately, not I's or ay's, but those two orbs in the front of our head. And I say front, because in many ways it is the eyes the define where the front of our soma is. As one of our main sensory organs, eyes(like the nose and ears and mouth) direct our attention and our focus. The rest of our body follows behind. It's the same with all animals and all organisms for that matter. Don't plants seem to look towards the sun? It's a structural necessity.

Anyway, two things have been on my mind about eyes lately. One of them is my poor vision. REAllY poor vision. I made my doctor's day last year when I went in to get a new prescription, I was like some fine spice came in from India. He got a little excited and was all, you have a very rare prescription, you probably only come across eyes as bad as yours once a year or so. Not necessarily as exciting for me as it was for him. But it makes me wonder how this has effected the course of my life. They discovered I had poor vision in kindergarten when I couldn't see the board and just wanted to play with blocks. I had bit of a lazy eye as well and spent a good number of my developmental years watching tv with a headache and an eyepatch trying to strengthen the muscles of my right eye.
What's interesting lately is that I've been doing things to try to improve my vision, namely using my eyes alot more. I still really enjoy playing with blocks, but I've started working on my eye-hand coordination, detailed tracing and consciously scanning and looking around more to wake up my visual cortex. And what do you know, all of a sudden colors are becoming a lot clearer for me, my right eye is a lot less tired than it used to be, and my tennis game is better than ever.
Who knows what other kinds of repercussions this is having in my soma. What we do know is that nothing happens in isolation. Effecting one element of yourself is effecting all elements of yourself. This positive development of my sense of sight can only improve my ability to enjoy the world and all its visual beauty.

2 comments:

Aliyya said...

Interesting stuff, Mister.
I've always thought you had such pretty eyes...

Unknown said...

Awww, what a sweet comment. Ditto here Mr. Posner.

WIth the eye contact issue I think you're scared to make emotional intimate contact. Other information you've told me tells me the same. In fact, often when we made eye contact I could see fear and uncertainty in your eyes which also made me keep my guard up. Cheers Mr. Posner! I'll see you down the line...