Tuesday, April 15, 2008

eyes part II - contact


Eye contact, intimate visual embrace of a fellow soma. scary, sometimes intimidating to engage someone visually. With a lover, direct eye contact can be very erotic and emotionally intense. "What are you looking at", "Gateways to the Soul" whatever you want to think about it, our eyes are a point of connection, a point of acknowledgement to the world around you. And From human to human/soma to soma a point to recognise someone for who they are and where they stand in the world.
I bring this up because recently I found that I rarely make direct eye contact with someone, I make indirect/across eye contact. My left eye to your left eye in a way.

If you think about a right triangle where I am the angle or the point, you would be the opposite side, I look across the hypotenuse as opposed to the adjacent side. What's interesting about that is that the hypotenuse is the longer side. So in very small effect, looking across to your opposite eye is creating more space between the two of us. Clearly this is a much less threatening approach. If I've learned anything from the discovery channel, it's never look a growling tiger right in the eyes when approaching. Could looking across be a sign of passivity and looking directly be a sign of aggression. Conversely, could looking directly be a sign of true engagement and respect and looking across a way of not truly acknowledging another person, or not truly acknowledging yourself and your right to be and take up space?

What do you think? where do you look?

No comments: